Fox knew of Bill O'Reilly harassment settlement before renewing contract

NYT: O'Reilly Struck $32M Settlement In January Over Harassment Allegations

NYT: O'Reilly Struck $32M Settlement In January Over Harassment Allegations

In a new report out Saturday morning in the New York Times, it turns out that disgraced former Fox News anchor Bill O'Reilly settled ANOTHER sexual harassment claim from a co-worker earlier this year... for a whopping $32 million.

"When the company renewed Bill O'Reilly's contract in February, it knew that a sexual harassment lawsuit had been threatened against him by Lis Wiehl, but was informed by Mr. O'Reilly that he had settled the matter personally, on financial terms that he and Ms. Wiehl had agreed were confidential and not disclosed to the company", said parent company 21st Century Fox in a statement today of the now pink slipped and top rated host.

Despite all their in-house sexual misconduct allegations - O'Reilly, Roger Ailes, Charles Payne, Eric Bolling being a few - Fox News hosts and contributor Tomi Lahren, Tucker Carlson, and Sean Hannity have still used the Harvey Weinstein scandal to lecture the mainstream media and Hollywood.

Regarding Mr. O'Reilly's contract extension, the company said Fox News "surely would have wanted to renew" Mr. O'Reilly's contract, noting that "he was the biggest star in cable TV".

Wiehl also said in the affidavit, "We have since resolved all of our issues" and that she would "no longer make the allegations" contained in a draft complaint against O'Reilly that she had drawn up months before.

O'Reilly denied the allegations to the New York Times. "The Times ignored that evidence, sworn under oath, and chose to rely on unsubstantiated allegations, anonymous sources and incomplete leaked or stolen documents", he wrote.

MRI on Draymond Green's knee come back negative
The Warriors can survive without Green, but they'd much rather have last season's Defensive Player of The Year back in the lineup. Without Green for the fourth quarter, the Warriors fumbled away a 13-point lead and fell 122-121.

Demonstrator Matt Mitchell holds a sign outside of the News Corp. and Fox News headquarters April 19 in midtown.

Mr. O'Reilly learned on January 2 that Ms. Wiehl meant to sue him for sexual harassment, according to The New York Times report. But the $32 million settlement reached in January has not been reported previously. The five agreements reportedly amounted to $13 million, and included a 2004 payment by O'Reilly to a former Fox producer named Andrea Mackris for $9 million.

Wiehl brings the total number of women known to have received sexual harassment settlements from O'Reilly to six. At the time, the company had undertaken internal steps to root out and address complaints of employee harassment.

In January, the detailing appears, Rupert Murdoch and his children, Lachlan and James, the best officials at 21st Century Fox, made a business computation to remain by Mr. O'Reilly notwithstanding his latest, and conceivably most hazardous, harassment question.

The Murdochs subsequently booted Fox News' president Bill Shine, who succeeded Ailes.

O'Reilly's attorney, Fredric S. Newman, said his relationship with Wiehl was an 18-year friendship in which she sometimes gave him legal advice.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.